Job Title: Head of Psychology
Department: Sports Science & Medicine
Work Base: Colchester United (various sites)
Hours of Work: Part time, 16 hours per week (2 days) for 10 months
Wage: £12,000 per annum
Responsible to: Academy Manager & Head of Sports Science and Medicine
Relationships and Contacts: Academy MDT
Job Purpose: To develop and deliver provision of psychological support. To help player development and player performance through implementing psychological interventions. To take responsibility for maintaining and improving provision of psychological support. To put together a framework that supports collective and individualised approaches.
Person Specification: Hold a Psychology degree at Masters Level, and be accredited by the British Psychological Society and/or the British Association of Sports & Exercise Medicine.
- Complete the performance profiling of all Academy players.
- Design, clearly position and deliver practical interventions that develops players’ ability to perform successfully on and off the pitch.
- Contribute where appropriate to the Academy departments using evidence-based research and applied practice to enhance the position, profile and understanding of Psychology.
- Develop and support players utilising formal and informal strategies.
- Ensure that the club is compliant with regards to Sports Psychology provision.
- Ensure that all work undertaken remains confidential, but can be evidenced.
- Develop and maintain open, honest and supportive feedback to players.
- Liaise with colleagues to prioritise the needs of certain players.
- Design learning that can be used as part of Sporting Excellence Professional Apprenticeship.
- Work with colleagues to manage the Academy’s Mental & Emotional Wellbeing pathway strategy.
- Manage the release of players from the Academy, offering appropriate support to the individual as they prepare for future careers.
- Attend meetings as appropriate both on and off site.